I am the Head of Design & Discovery in the Library Information Technology division at the University of Michigan Library. In the Design & Discovery department, I oversee twelve FTE that provide front-end web application development, design, content strategy, user research, and offer accessibility expertise and UX strategy across the entire U-M Library web presence. My team also coordinates and manages strategic initiatives within the Library IT division providing leadership in library analytics, discovery, delivery of resources and services, assessment, and technology training.
I have a well-rounded perspective of academic libraries having taught classes, led information literacy initiatives, provided reference services, maintained electronic resources, lead library-wide strategic planning, and redesigned large websites. I’ve had some amazing professional experiences and received some recognition for my accomplishments. I was a 2007 ALA Emerging Leader, a 2014 Library Journal Mover & Shaker, and from 2014-2015, I was proud to be President of the Library and Information Technology Association (LITA).
My research and professional interests include user experience, information architecture, open source technologies, digital libraries, web-scale discovery, strategic planning, mentoring, and leadership.
I am originally from West Chester, Ohio (just north of Cincinnati) and earned my Bachelor of Arts degree in English from the University of Dayton in 1999 and my Master of Library and Information Science degree from the University of Pittsburgh in 2001. I am happy to now call Ann Arbor, Michigan, my home.
Please see my full CV for more info.
Current Professional Involvement
- Attending the Big Ten Academic Alliance Library Conference at Purdue University in May 2017
- Attending ALA Annual in Chicago in June 2017
- Attending the Leading Change Institute in Washington DC in June 2017
- Teaching a 6-week online web course in July-August 2017 for LITA with Deirdre Costello on contextual inquiry
- Member of the NISO Flexible API Framework Working Group (PDF)
- Board of Director for ALA’s Games and Gaming Round Table
- Advisory Committee member for the Designing for Digital conference
- Editorial Board member for the Web Management & Marketing: The Peer-Reviewed Journal
- Member of the Panel of Experts for the New Media Consortium (NMC) Horizon Report: 2017 Library Edition