I am the head of Design & Discovery in the Library Information Technology division at the University of Michigan Library. In the Design & Discovery department, I oversee eleven FTE that provide web development, user interface design, content strategy, user research, and offer digital accessibility expertise and UX strategy across the entire U-M Library web presence. My team also coordinates and manages strategic initiatives within the library providing leadership in library analytics, discovery, and delivery of resources and services.
I have a well-rounded perspective of academic libraries having taught classes, led information literacy initiatives, provided reference services, maintained electronic resources, lead library-wide strategic planning, and redesigned large websites. I’ve had some amazing professional experiences and received some recognition for my accomplishments. I was a 2007 ALA Emerging Leader, a 2014 Library Journal Mover & Shaker, and from 2014-2015, I was proud to be President of the Library and Information Technology Association (LITA). I am also a 2017 alumna of the prestigious Leading Change Institute.
My research and professional interests include user experience, information architecture, open source technologies, digital libraries, web-scale discovery, strategic planning, mentoring, and leadership.
I am originally from West Chester, Ohio (just north of Cincinnati) and earned my Bachelor of Arts degree in English from the University of Dayton in 1999 and my Master of Library and Information Science degree from the University of Pittsburgh in 2001. I am happy to now call Ann Arbor, Michigan, my home.
Please see my full CV for more info.
Recent Professional Involvement
- Working on a book chapter with Emily Puckett Rodgers and Meghan Sitar for the book, Deconstructing Service in Libraries: Intersections of Identities and Expectations, to be published in 2019 by Library Juice Press.
- Wrote a book chapter with Kat Hagedorn called “How Two Women Embraced Their Path to IT Management” for the book We Can Do I.T. : Women in Library I.T. from Library Juice Press.
- I’m a member of the NISO Flexible API Framework (FASTEN) Working Group.
- I’m an Editorial Board member for the Web Management & Marketing: The Peer-Reviewed Journal.
- I recently spoke at the LITA Forum with Ken Varnum — see Presentations for a link to this and many other recent presentations.